Elderly Care Medicine (Cheetham Hill Ward)
Brief description of Department:
28 bedded ward looking after acutely ill elderly patients. 3 consultants, two of whom will be caring for patients on the ward at any one time. Firm is split into two teams with 14 beds each. Also look after outlying medical patients on 3 other wards. Consultants do 2 formal ward rounds each week and see new and or sick patients daily. Consultants are readily contactable by phone and cover of each other’s problems when required.
Curriculum Development Opportunities with this Post
Top Tips from Fellow Trainees
- Introduce yourself to all the nurses/ physios/ OTs at the start of your job
- Check in with the nurses in your bay at the end of the day to check all your jobs done and plans are clear.
- Post take ward round: If the consultant is late, call them, as they may not be aware you're waiting for them.
- Dr Helen Waters is a valuable ally.
- Read Prof Ben's blog.
- Take emergency rations with you if you hold the 169 bleep overnight: just in case you don't get to stop.
- Find out the radiologist to avoid and do so.