Brief description of Department:
Acute hospital services and community child health services.
In patient care on 19 bed paediatric ward, including 2 paed HDU beds and 6 bedded adolescent area.
Short-Stay Paediatric Assessment Unit for consultant led assessment of acute paediatric referrals.
10 bedded Special Care Baby Unit which forms part of the South West Peninsula Neonatal Network. Neonatal resuscitation, stabilisation, high dependency care and short term intensive care for moderately preterm and sick infants. Intensive care provided prior to retrieval of very premature and sick infants by Peninsula Retrieval Team.
Paediatric outpatient investigations and treatments provided either via paediatric outpatient department or paediatric ward.
Extensive paediatric outpatient service including specialist clinics supported by visiting tertiary specialists.
Child development centre providing multidisciplinary assessment and management of children with developmental impairment.
Children’s community nursing team caring for those with life limiting/life threatening conditions.
Curriculum Opportunities for this Post
Top Tips from Fellow Trainees
- read www.spottingthesickchild.com one week before starting.
- If the midwives call you to a delivery, ask if there is thick mec. If yes then call your SPR.
- Read the NICE guidelines on Febrile Child and Neonatal sepsis.
- Simon Dunn who does the rota's may need reminding if you have any problems.
- Teaching: Tues/ Wed/ thurs at 08:30. Check the teaching rotas!!
- There is a doctors tray in SCBU with jobs in.
- There is a results file in out patients room. Update it when you are there.
- BOOK NLS EARLY!!! (and complete before rotation)
- In out patients you should be able to get to clinics, not just take blood. Paed dermatology with Rosie Davies is recommended.